I’m still undecided with which system to proceed. Originally I had planned to go on with a German language game next, and ideally have a little of multimedia support included with it.
Despite numerous attempts, I failed in getting the multimedia extension for Inform, “Glulx”, to properly run at all. It also required quite some effort to get the German language library going, but I finally managed that.
As an alternative, I checked out TADS in the meantime, which, while providing a German interface and multimedia, is unfortunately a software behemoth which is difficult to come to grips with. There is a lightweight subset of TADS, but this doesn’t support languages other than English.
It’s a bit sad to see so a syndrome afflicting many of the IF writing systems: Much effort is going into their development, which results in tremenduously powerful and sophisticated algorithms, which at the same time are so difficult to use to make it almost not worthwhile to learn it. Documentation is rudimentary, library versions aren’t properly updated, configuration is obscure, and you have to fight hard struggles to get everything running.
It’s a habit which seems to be widespread in IF software, and this is a shame, because it makes it so hard to get going in writing IF. And, of course, the natural response of the software developer inside me would be to write my own system, which would be so much more cleanly designed and easier to use…
Oh my. But anyway, for the time being, I’ll translate the Isle of Statues into German, and then write the first “serious” game, probably in German as well, and using Inform 6 again.